Curricula starting in 2022 and earlier
Savonia's new Study Guide (curriculum starting in 2023 and after) can be found here.
|Basis of Education||Competence Standards||Structure of Studies||Development of Expertise||Methods and implementation||Course Table|
|Objectives||Student can |
- choose a topic for thesis that is suitable for his or her field and his or her professional development and justify the choice from different perspectives
- plan and implement a working life oriented research and development work based on the needs of the user/client
- apply scientific and evidence-based information in the thesis process and in the development of his or her expertise
- appropriately use research and development methods or artistic methods that are suitable for his or her professional field and for the topic of the thesis
- prepare a clearly defined, logical and professionally appropriate report on his or her thesis
- evaluate the essential contents, results or output of his or her thesis and justify their significance from the perspectives of his or her field, the client’s/user’s need and his or her professional development
- evaluate his or her thesis process, its reliability and ethicality as well as his or her professional growth and learning during the work
- cooperate in a flexible manner with players involved in the thesis process and demonstrate his or her expertise
- take the maturity test on his or her thesis.
|Content||SAVONT1 Thesis 15 ECTS |
ONT10: Planning the thesis (5 ECTS)
- orientation to thesis and its preparation
- choice and definition of topic
- preparation of thesis plan and compilation of background material
ONT20 Implementation of thesis process (5 ECTS)
- preparation of thesis
- results/output of thesis
ONT30 Finalising the thesis (5 ECTS)
- reporting and publication of thesis
ONT40 Maturity test
|Requirements||The thesis is always working life oriented. It may take the form of a |
a) development work planned and implemented by a student or a group of students to meet the user's or client's needs. Development may focus on a product, service, process, working method, learning material or instruction, digital material, supervised activity etc. The student shall present the plan, its implementation and its evaluated output and the need for further development in a report whose form is suitable for the professional field in question.
b) research-based thesis, in which a student or a group of student approaches a practical problem or item to be developed with appropriate research methods. The student shall prepare a report describing the planning, implementation and results of the thesis and interpreting the results.
c) production, in which a student of a group of students demonstrates competence as an expert or as an artist by planning and implementing an event, a seminar, an artistic performance etc. The student shall present the plan, its implementation and its evaluated output in a report whose form is suitable for the professional field in question.
d) compiled thesis, in which parts planned as a thesis (e.g. projects) are implemented and reported. In the written synthesis, article or other publication, which is part of the thesis, the student shall present the essential results/output in a form that is suitable for the professional field in question. The student shall choose either SAVONT1 or SAVONT2 as the form of completion.
|Grading Scale||0 - 5|
|Course material||The student shall acquire the material required for the thesis him or herself. Savonia’s thesis reporting instructions|
|Prerequisites||Method studies in accordance with the curriculum of the degree programme|
|Other Considerations||The student may adapt the Thesis course to a schedule that is appropriate to his or her work.|
We reserve the right to make changes to the curriculum due to the need to update the content being studied.