|Basis of Education||Competence Standards||Structure of Studies||Development of Expertise||Methods and implementation||Course Table|
|Name||Factors Related to Oral Health|
|Objectives||The student is able to|
• explain oral health-related factors
• explain the importance of nutrition for oral health
• apply Finnish nutrition recommendations to dietary counselling
• consider various special oral health-related nutritional factors
• explain fluoride and its impact on oral health
• explain xylitol and its impact on oral health
• explain saliva testing and analysis
• provide dental erosion prevention counselling
• explain the effects of tobacco, snuff and oral piercings on oral health
• explain the effects of alcohol and drugs on oral health
• advise the client on the use of self-care equipment, products and methods
|Content||Oral health-related factors. National Nutrition Council’s nutrition recommendations. Dietary interview, interpretation and oral health-related dietary counselling based on the interview results. Dietary habits in Finland – the essential content of the Findiet Survey. Oral self-care equipment, products and methods. Fluoride and its toxicity. Xylitol. Dental erosion. Dry mouth. Saliva testing and test analyses. Oral piercings. Smoking and snuff. Alcohol, drugs and other intoxicants. Oral self-care counselling.|
|Requirements||An exam, completion of simulations and other learning assignments.|
Alternative completion: Skills demonstration or work-based learning.
|Grading Scale||0 - 5|
LUSSI A, JAEGGIL, T. 2008. Erosion - diagnosis and risk factors. Clinical Oral Investigations.
G. A. Scardina and P.Messina. 2012. Good Oral Health and Diet.
|Contact||Sirviö Kaarina, Aalto Sari|
We reserve the right to make changes to the curriculum due to the need to update the content being studied.