Municipality of residence

Apply for municipality of residence (degree students only)

In case you study in Finland for at least two years, you can apply for a municipality of residence. The municipality of residence (‘kotipaikkaoikeus’ in Finnish) entitles you to utilize the services of the municipality. You can obtain a so called KELA card which entitles you to utilize public and private health care services and purchase medicines with same prices as Finnish citizens. KELA is a Social Insurance Institution of Finland. As a local resident, you are also able to vote in municipal elections.

In case you wish to find out if your status entitles you to other KELA benefits (such as day care services for your children), you can contact the local KELA office or call the national KELA service phone number of international affairs: 020 634 0200

The municipality of residence can be applied through the Digital and population data services agency (DVV). In order to apply you need to proof of your degree studies status.

EU/EEA citizens

In case you are an EU/EEA citizen, you need to first apply for the registration of your right of residence in Finland through the Finnish Immigration Services (Migri). After your residence is registered through Migri, you can apply for the municipality of residence by bookin an appointment with the DVV office in Kuopio.

Non EU/EEA citizens

In case you are a non-EU/EEA citizen and you have a residence permit to Finland to study for minimum of two years in Finland, you can apply the municipality of residence by filling in the registration information of a foreigner form at the DVV website and then book a visit at the DVV office in Kuopio.