Services for immigrants
Services for immigrants
Personal guidance: SIMHE
SIMHE services means Supporting Immigrants in Higher Education. You may book a time for a personal guidance discussion in which we go through your previous studies and what kind of hopes and ideas you have for your future education and career. Consider the following topics before coming to the discussion:
- What have you studied before and what are your skills and competences?
- Are you interested in supplementing your previous studies for example by taking courses via Open university?
- Do you plan to start studies in higher education for the first time, or do you wish to enter in a totally new field of study?
- What are your career plans?
- How is your life in general in relation to continuing or starting studies?
Length: approx 2 months / credit
How to apply: you can apply online
Extend: one course equals to 5 credits
Price: During pandemia free of charge until the end of December 2021
Normally: 75 € / course (5 credits). In case you complete at least two courses per same semester, you can pay the semester fee of 125 €. A semester means autumn, spring or summer semester. Courses are free of charge for students of Savonia and its partner universities in Campusonline. Courses are free of charge for students in high schools or vocational schools.
The courses are part of Savonia UAS Open University curricula. If you are a degree student, please ask from your tutor teacher for advice.
After the courses you will be able to speak and write Finnish language in your professional contexts. You can also search for and pass on information in Finnish. You can use complex structures and produce fluent Finnish language. In addition you can express your opinions. You can pronounce Finnish in a clear manner and you have the capabilities to develop your language skills independently.
You can complete the courses online. Oral courses include obligatory Zoom meetings daytime. It is possible to combine working, family life and studying independently. In case agreed with the employment office you can also study while being unemployed. Finnish studies are usually considered as part-time studies.
How to apply?
In case you are not a degree student but working / unemployed / on parental leave etc. or a current student of Open UAS, you can apply through Savonia Open UAS. Enrollment time 2021: coming up in August 2021 for autumn courses.
In case you are a student of the Campus Online, you can apply through CampusOnline.
The courses are free of charge for CampusOnline students (excluding a few courses such as the oral Finnish language course B2 level). Because of pandemia all the courses are free of charge for everyone.
- Työelämän suomi | Working Life Finnish, aiming at level B1.1, 5 op
- Kirjallinen suomen kieli | Written Finnish, level B1.2, 5 op
- Kirjallinen suomen kieli | Written Finnish, level B2, 5 op
- Kirjallinen suomen kieli | Written Finnish, level C1, 5 op
- Sairaanhoitajan suomi | Finnish for Nurses, level B2, 5 op
- Tekniikan suomi | Technical Finnish, level B2, 5 op
- Opettajan suomi | Finnish for Teachers, level B2, 5 op
- Suullinen suomen kieli | Oral Finnish, level B2, 5 op | Full–booked
Enrollment isn’t possible at the moment:
- Opiskelijan suomi | Student’s Finnish, level A2.2
- Lääkärin suomi | Finnish for Doctors, level B1
- Asiakirjoittajan suomi | Finnish for Informational Writing, B2.2
- Etäkielikahvila |Online Language Café 2 op
The aim of the preparatory education is that the student acquires the ability to apply to higher education in Finland and succeed in his or her studies. The aim of the training is to develop the skills needed in university studies as well as in entrance examinations. In addition, the goal is to develop Finnish language skills from proficiency level B1 to level B2.
- 30 credits, 6 months
- Oct 2021 – Mar 2022
- daily online lectures (daytime) and independent studying
- free of charge
- includes courses in Finnish language, English language and mathematics
- minimum of level B1 in Finnish as well as higher education eligibility is required
- Application: 9 – 31 August 2021 in Opintopolku.fi
- Korkeakouluopintoihin valmentava koulutus maahanmuuttajille | Only in Finnish