Renewed right to study
Renewed right to study
You can apply new study right twice a year, in May and in November.
The next application period is on 2 – 15 May 2021. The application period ends on 15 May 2021 at 3 pm Finnish time.
If you have studied at Savonia UAS or another University or UAS in Finland, but you have lost your study right (due to neglecting of enrolment or resignation or expiration of study time), you can apply for a renewed study right in order to complete your degree.
The renewed study right is principally granted from the beginning of the next semester that follows the application period.
Students who have neglected enrolment
A student who has not enrolled in the statutory manner, loses his/her right to study. If he/she wants to begin his/her studies later or continue them, he/she must apply for renewed right to study. The study right can be granted only if it is realistic to complete the degree during the remaining study right.
For a student who has neglected to enroll, the study right time elapses all the time: first non-attendance time (two (2) academic years for students who started their studies before 1.8.2015; one (1) academic year for students who started their studies after 1.8.2015) and after that the study right time when a student should be enrolled as present.
Usually the right to study cannot be granted in the middle of a semester. It can only be granted from the beginning of the next semester that follows the application period.
Students who have resigned or whose study right time has expired
A student is considered as having resigned on the day when he/she has signed a notice of resignation and submitted it to Savonia University of Applied Sciences. If he/she wants to continue studies, he/she has to apply for renewed right to study.
If a student’s study right time has expired and he/she has not graduated but he/she wants to continue studies, he/she has to apply for renewed right to study.
Usually the right to study cannot be granted in the middle of a semester. It can only be granted from the beginning of the next semester that follows the application period. The renewed right to study takes into account:
- the number of uncompleted credits (in Bachelor’s degree max. 60 credits) and
- feasibility of graduation by the end of restored time of study right.
If renewed right to study is granted, the student is not given any non-attendance time.
Before the application period
Before the application period, please contact your Savonia UAS contact person to agree on making a personal study plan for you. The personal study plan (PSP) must include all the missing courses of the degree and information on when they can be completed.
Savonia UAS contact persons:
- Bachelor of Health Care, Registered Nurse:
Katri Huuskola, email@example.com
- Bachelor of Business Administration, International Business:
Virpi Oksanen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor of Engineering, Information Technology (Internet of Things):
Sami Lahti, email@example.com
- Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering:
Tatu Westerholm, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master’s Degree Programme in Digital Health:
Liisa Klemola, email@example.com; Minna Kaija-Kortelainen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master’s Degree Programme in Energy Engineering:
Olli-Pekka Kähkönen, email@example.com
Apply at www.studyinfo.fi
Search with the name of the degree programme and Savonia (e.g. International business Savonia). Open the additional information and fill in the form “Separate Application, Renewed Right to Study, Savonia UAS, spring 2021”.
Fill in the application form during the above mentioned application period.
Enclose official attachments to the application form by 17 May at 23.59 Finnish time (Spring application period) and 17 November at 23.59 Finnish time (Autumn application period):
- up-to-date transcript of records
- certificate of the resignation / student certificate
- personal study plan confirmed by Savonia UAS contact person
The decisions on the admission of students are made within four (4) weeks after the expiration of the application period and information about the decision will be sent to all applicants by email.
A fee of 50 euros is charged for processing the application. Please pay at Savonia Study Store by 17 May (spring application period) or by 17 November (autumn application period). You don’t have to attach the receipt to your application form or send it to Admission Services.
One study place per term provision
This separate application is included in the one study place per term provision. If you are eligible to apply in this application and if you will be granted the study place, you cannot accept another study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland during the same academic term.
Please read more about the one study place per term provision.
Health requirements and aptitude in the field of health care and social services
Legislation relating to aptitude in the field of health care and social services
Legislation applies to education leading to a degree in applied sciences in the field of health care and social services, the humanities, physical exercise and maritime navigation. These fields have requirements concerning the safety of minors, patient and customer safety or traffic safety which restrict student admission.
In the field of health care and social services the studies include working with customer groups requiring special protection, in which case ethical requirements and requirements for patient or customer safety are crucial. The health and functional capacity of students shall be such that they are capable of performing assignments and practical training related to their studies.
Those applying to the field should bear in mind that:
- studying and working in a profession of this field requires sufficient physical, mental and social capacity
- the field of health care and social services is not suitable for individuals convicted of one of the following: offences against children, sexual offences, violent offences, crimes against freedom, or drug offences
- the field is not suitable for those who have been drug or alcohol abusers during the last two years
- conditions such as musculoskeletal diseases, chronic skin diseases, allergies and mental health disorders may lead to health issues during studies or later on in working life
- blood-borne illnesses may restrict practical training and, after graduation, the students’ placement in work assignments
- many health care and social services operating units care for patients/clients susceptible to infections, and in order to work at these units, students and staff must have up-to-date vaccination cover (e.g. measles, chicken pox, whooping cough). In addition, annual influenza vaccination is required. The required vaccinations are free of charge for students in the field of health care and social services.
Applicants are required to provide information concerning their health status and functional capacity as required to assess admission at the request of the university of applied sciences concerned, as well as information on any possible prior decision on cancellation of their study entitlement.
Students are required to produce an extract from criminal records at the request of the university of applied sciences if working with minors forms an essential part of the tasks assigned to them during their studies or work placement periods that are part of their studies.
Universities of applied sciences are entitled to require a student to produce a certificate of a drugs test if there is any reason to suspect that the student is under the influence of drugs during practical assignments or during a work placement that is part of their studies, or that the student is addicted to drugs.
FSHS healthcare fee
Starting in January 2021, degree students in Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences are entitled to get health care services from the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS / YTHS). FSHS’s services are available for all degree students on Savonia’s campuses including Iisalmi and Varkaus.
All present degree students (Bachelor, Master) must pay the FSHS healthcare fee to Kela. Please note! You will not be sent an invoice to pay the FSHS fee, but you have to make the payment on your own initiative.
You will find the payment instructions on Kela website.